Monday, February 24, 2014

Interview of Author R.G. Triplett

Displaying 3 BW.jpgAW: Tell us about yourself…

I think I would call myself an artist at heart. The way I cook, the way I write, the way I communicate and make music and tell stories - even the way I smoke a cigar and savor a good bourbon - always comes with the motivation to discover or uncover a new aspect of beauty. In each moment, with whatever medium I have access to - whether it be horses, or holy scriptures or hyperbole - beauty is what I hope to find, and frequently what I hope to create. Also, I would call myself a bit of an epic nerd. I love stories with layers of history and allegory. 

AW: What genre do you write and why?
Fantasy, because if I am honest, that is where I would probably most like to be… in a world where the battle lines are more distinctly drawn.

AW: What was your inspiration for this book?

I had just finished reading The Singer Trilogy by Calvin Miller, and I loved the idea of telling the story of God, but without being so "on the nose".

AW: Do you have a favorite character and why that one?

There are bits of me and my heart in each one of the characters, parts of my story and those who have influenced me (whether good or bad). I think the character I love the most is Engelmann the Arborist. He is the sage that I never had in real life… the one that I have always prayed for. I guess since I never had an older man to want to walk with me through the minefields… I had to write my own.

AW: Did you find anything particularly difficult in writing this book?

The writing… not really. However, the refining of it? That is a different story altogether. 

AW: What project(s) are you currently working on?

Book Two of the trilogy. Just finished the 100th page.

AW: Do you have any interesting writing quirks you want to tell us about?

I may or may not read back the story in a pretty crappy Irish/English voice. For some reason, without even thinking about it… this just happens every single time.

AW: Do you have any advice for writers out there?

Create in a community. I have 2-3 trusted dreamers that help me process the plot lines and flesh out the motivations of the story. They make it better every time.

AW: Where can we find you? 

@rgtriplett

AW: And of course we have to know, where can we find your book? 



Displaying _Final-eBook-Cover copy.jpgWhat made you decide to self-publish the book?

I originally thought I would go through the traditional publishing hoops, but after talking to several published authors and researching the industry, I discovered that I had access to a team of people that could produce a far superior product to most publishers out there. By self publishing, not only could I invite others into the process of this dream coming to life, but I could maintain creative control of the work that I spent a year of my life refining. And I could keep a lot more of the profits too! So... Lost Poet Press was born.

Any tips for authors who hope to self-publish their work?

A HUGE part of our process was kickstarter. We were able to raise over $12,000, which completely covered all marketing, design, printing, and distribution costs of the book. Plus, now we have an army of kickstarter backers who are excited to help promote the book and be a part of the dream. It's been a really incredible process.

0 comments:

Post a Comment