Friday, November 21, 2014

Interview of Author Katherine McIntyre

AW: Tell us about yourself…
I'm a massage therapist by day, writer by night, and caffeine junkie 24/7. On top of all that, I dabble in a thousand and one hobbies, ranging from soapmaking to beer brewing, and most recently, blending tea. 
Displaying km_snatched.jpg

AW: What genre do you write and why?

Anything speculative fiction. That includes science fiction, young adult scifi/fantasy, urban fantasy, paranormal romance, etc. I've always been drawn to spec fiction since I was a kid. There's something about the departure from the norm, from everyday life, that just tantalized my imagination. 

AW: Tell us about your book….
My most recent release is Snatched, a young adult dystopian novel I wrote years ago.
To summarize, it's a story about family--about a girl going to any length necessary to save her sister. The monsters on the surface keeping humanity underground, and the intrigue involving human survivors still living up above are the sci-fi icing on the novel-cake. 

AW: What was your inspiration for this book?
Kind of a weird inspiration actually. I first got the idea for this book from the concept of what it'd be like if society had to go back to using herbs and the old ways to heal, versus all of our modern day medicine and technology. That's actually where the shifters, the antagonists of the story, stemmed from. They're mutations that formed after usage of certain medications. End result, humanity's progress caused their own backlash. 

AW: Do you have a favorite character and why that one?
My favorite character would have to be Tweak. While I love my main character, Tweak was so weird and eccentric that she just stole the stage every time she appeared in the book. She's that sort of character like Anya in Buffy that just doesn't know common gestures or social cues. 

AW: Did you find anything particularly difficult in writing this book?
Actually, yes. The ending was incredibly tough to write. My original ending involved breaking free prisoners--twice. When I realized it had been repetitious, I completely redesigned a huge portion of the story. 

AW: What project(s) are you currently working on?
I'm currently editing a dystopian pirate tale, and just started writing an urban fantasy centered on Norse mythology. I'm always juggling multiple projects.

AW: Do you have any interesting writing quirks you want to tell us about?
Two big ones. First off, I assign all of my characters zodiac signs when I write them. It helps me get into their headspace better since I'm obsessed with astrology. Seriously, I've got them all mapped out for An Airship Named Desire and Snatched. Secondly, I may get an idea for a story, but I don't act upon it until I get inspiration for the first line. Even though I'll push through and write, even on days when I'm not feeling it, that first line absolutely has to be inspired. 


AW: Do you have any advice for writers out there?
Displaying IMG_7512.jpgGet yourself some good beta readers, but definitely swap stories with people. Not only will it help you build the tough skin you need in the field, but you will grow so much as a writer. Learning to critique another person's work can help you look at your own in a different, more objective light and help you become better at self editing. On top of that, a lot of beta readers that I've enjoyed swapping with have ended up becoming more like writing partners, and building connections in this community is so important.  

AW: Where can we find you?
I update book news on my website: www.katherine-mcintyre.com

However, most sneak peeks, regular news, and excerpts can be found on Facebook and Twitter.

Twitter: @PixieRants

AW: And of course we have to know, where can we find your book? 
Most of my works can be found on Amazon, and through my author page: http://www.amazon.com/Katherine-McIntyre/e/B00J8U4VNU
However, my most recent one, Snatched, can also be found at Jupiter Garden's Press Store: http://jupitergardenspress.com/shop/snatched/

0 comments:

Post a Comment