Thursday, October 12, 2017

Interview of Author Lauryn April!!

AW: Tell us about yourself…
Hi, my name is Lauryn April. I’ve written three books and will be publishing my fourth novel, Unearthed After Sunset,On October 15th, 2017. 

AW: What genera do you write and why?
My first three books were Young Adult PNR, but I’m branching out a little with this book. Unearthed After Sunset is an Urban Fantasy novel about vampires. My characters are college age so I’m considering it general fiction. Overall, I like writing anything with a supernatural element.

AW: Tell us about your book….
When Greg Erickson is killed by sultry and seductive vampire Lila, he wakes up cold and alone in a wooden box. After clawing his way out, he finds himself thrust into a vampire turf war, unsure of exactly what he’s fighting for. Greg discovers that it’s not easy to be human one day and hunting humans the next, and while his new vampire cohorts try to get him to accept his newfound existence there’s one girl from his human life he’s unable to forget.

Caroline Christensen lived a normal life once. Then her brother was killed by vampires and her family legacy as a vampire hunter was handed down to her. When she meets Greg out at the bar one night they both feel a connection. Then Greg discovers Caroline’s secret and she worries he’ll never talk to her again, but soon she finds out that he has a very different reason for not calling – he’s dead.

Now Greg has become the thing Caroline is supposed to hunt, but can she bring herself to kill him? Greg, however, isn’t Caroline’s only concern. There’s something going on with the vampires. They’re fighting over something and she’s determined to find out what it is.

AW: What was your inspiration for this book?
The concept for this book formed right around the time Twilight was popular and copy-cat books started to flood the market. I was seeing these vampire romances left and right and I wanted to write something different. My goals with this book were to write vampires that were real, scary, deadly vampires, and to write a kick-ass female character. While there’s still a romantic subplot, most of the book is told through Greg’s POV which I think makes it a little darker because you follow him on his journey becoming a vampire.

AW: Do you have a favorite character and why that one?
Greg was my favorite character in this book. Both he and Caroline go through a lot of character development, but he easily goes through more. He spends a lot of time learning about not only what he is, but who he is, and I liked writing that journey for him as he tried to figure out right from wrong, and made mistakes.

AW: Did you find anything particularly difficult in writing this book?
I think a challenge anyone faces when writing a vampire novel these days is how to balance the stereotypes while still making the story feel new. If you keep all the traditional vampire lore like sleeping in coffins, stakes through the heart and an aversion to garlic then you end up with a cliché story. But, change too much and your reader may feel like they’re not really reading about vampires. So, I spent a lot of time deciding what rules my vampires would have to follow.

AW: What project(s) are you currently working on?
I’m currently working on the sequel to Unearthed After Sunset. My first draft is done, but there’s lots to do yet.

AW: Do you have any interesting writing quirks you want to tell us about?
I hate peanut butter cookies. Love peanut butter, love cookies, but I’m not a fan of peanut butter cookies.

AW: Do you have any advice for writers out there?
Don’t give up. It’s not easy to put a book out there and with each book I’ve written I’ve learned something new (sometimes many somethings). 

AW: Where can we find you? (facebook, twitter, blog, website, etc)
Facebook: www.facebook.com/laurynapril/

AW: And of course we have to know, where can we find your book? 
Between September 15th and October 14th you can Pre-Order Unearthed After Sunset for Kindle on Amazon for 99cents! It goes live on October 15th.

0 comments:

Post a Comment